Mahon about Town
The island’s newest boutique hotel and cocktail lounge are now open. The restaurant will open soon, operating seven days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. One of the part-time bartenders is the well-known and popular Nantucketer Gregg Mehringer. As reported earlier, Executive Chef Marcus Gleadow-Ware will oversee the kitchen and has introduced a menu with a his own twist on American and regional classics. The dinner menu showcases dishes inspired by Chef Gleadow-Ware’s experience cooking in Florence, Italy, coupled with the seasonality and freshness of New England’s bounty.
Here are just a few dishes on the menu:
- Nantucket Halibut served with English Peas, Mint, Fava Beans, Chanterelles
- Roasted Dry Aged Ribeye for Two, accompanied by fresh vegetables from Pumpkin Pond Farm, Summer Beans, Marble Potatoes, Peppercorn Jus
- Wood Box Popovers, as a nod to the Woodbox Inn, an heirloom treasured by Nantucket since 1709.
The lunch menu offers a more casual selection of light plates and heavier options emphasizing locally-sourced ingredients.
- Fresh soups and salads such as Chilled Tomato Gazpacho and the Peekytoe Crab, Cucumber, Watermelon Salad
- Parisian Sandwich, a 7-oz filet mignon served with classic garnishes of Caramelized Onions, Dijon and Cornichon
- Knuckle Sandwich, Gleadow-Ware’s take on the traditional lobster roll made with lobster Knuckles, Gem Lettuce, Corn, and Crème Fraiche
The breakfast menu includes:
- Yogurt Parfait with Fresh Fruit and Toasted Oats
- Traditional English Breakfast that pays homage to Chef Gleadow-Ware’s English roots: Eggs Monte Carlo made with fresh Nantucket eggs paired with Champagne poached oysters, local halibut and Napa Pearls caviar.
The cocktail menu has been curated by Jackson Cannon, an award-winning bartender, co-owner of The Hawthorn, and bar director of Eastern Standard and Island Creek Oyster Bar in Boston.
- The Greydon’s Cup, the house signature, combines a Tiki cocktail and classic champagne jump, served in an Elyx copper pineapple. Absolute Elyx, Clement Mahina Coconut Liquor and Giffard Banana du Bresil are balanced with fresh lime, mint, angostura bitters and sparkling wine.
- The Little Grey Lady, made with Plymouth gin, Cocchi Americano, St. Germain, fresh lemon juice and Peychaud’s bitters, is shaken, strained and served up in a custom Plymouth Glug Glug Jug. The cocktail’s name is a reference to how the island looks from the ocean when wrapped in a delicate fog.
Some of the awards Jackson has garnered include:
- Eastern Standard’s cocktail program was named by USA Today as one of the country’s “Top 10 Hotel Bars” in 2006
- In 2011, Nightclub & Bar magazine named Jackson “Bartender of the Year.”
- Esquire magazine named it as one of the “Best Bars in America” in 2008 and 2010
- Cocktail’s Spirited Awards for “Best High Volume Cocktail Bar in 2012”
The Greydon House Restaurant & Bar is designed by Roman and Williams. The 20-seat dining room is lined with long, plush silk and velvet banquets and Edwardian dining chairs separated by traditional bistro tables. The bar area is located adjacent to the dining room and a hallway that separates the two spaces. A reclaimed bar from a former general store is the focus of the bar room, prominantly displaying a mural with scenes from the 18th Century China Trade.
Guests may also sit by the fireplace or outdoors on the front patio or in the garden, which also supplies fresh herbs for the kitchen.